John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.

my mother and her step daughter own a farm in n.c. the step

my mother and her step daughter own a farm in n.c. the step daughter died but before she died in her will she left her half of farm to another person. she lived in calf. is that legal.
Welcome! Thank you for your question. I am happy to answer, I just need a bit more information first.

Do you know exactly the way they held title on the deed?

Was it tenants in common or joint tenants with rights of survivorship?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

all i no is they are both on the listed as owners.

If the deed in NC is as joint tenants with rights of survivorship then the property would pass in full to your mother. The deed must specifically state this for the property to pass to your mother.

If the deed just lists them as co-owners without further language then they own the property as tenants in common. This does mean that the named heir in the step daughter's Will receives her 1/2 interest. This is nothing inappropriate or illegal about this unless the step daughter was coerced into making the Will or was incompetent at the time.

Your mother and this person will own the property as tenants in common, 1/2 interest each. Either person can force a court sale or division of the property on the ground if they cannot agree on how to handle the property.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,