dylatess
dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  35 plus years representing clients with their legal issues

We filed for homestead exemption in 2000. This is our first

Customer Question

We filed for homestead exemption in 2000. This is our first house so when the tax bill came in, we paid it. Because we filed for homestead we paid what we thought was the appropriate taxes. We just found out that the city somehow messed up and we have been paying $1000 too much each year in property taxes because their system some how knocked our homestead exemption out. I know there is a statute of limitations of 3 years on something like this. However, with it being the city's fault, is there anything we can do? They have reimbursed us for 2010, 2011 and then fixed 2012 taxes before they were paid by our mortgage company in October. Can we get 2009 back? Can we go further back? That's well over $10,000 that the city received that was not actually owed. Help!
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. For over 34 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

You are correct that the statute of limitations is three years. But that is a defense that the city could raise if they choose to do so. Likewise, if they do not, you can pursue this. Accordingly, as the city has admitted their error for three of the years, I recommend that you meet with a real estate attorrney. He will first send a letter. And if that does not get anywhere, he will file a lawsuit. He will also argue that the three years defense, if it is raised, does not apply based on the city's actions to correct the matter. And therefore if there is a three year limitation, the time that it begins to run is from 2012. Finally, this is not something you can go at alone and need representation. YOu also may want to look at the site findlaw.com which lists attorneys by their specialty in your area.
dylatess, Attorney
Experience: 35 plus years representing clients with their legal issues
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.
I answered your question. I would now appreciate if you would rate my answer ok or better. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response. It was very helpful. We will contact a real estate attorney in the coming weeks.

Quick question...when you said that the time that the three year limitation begins is 2012, that means they should reimburse us for 2012, 2011 and 2010, correct? If so, that is what they did except we didn't get a "reimbursement" for 2012. Since I saw them before the 2012 taxes went out, they corrected it and my mortgage company (it's rolled into the mortgage) paid the new lower rate. Are we eligible under the three year limitation to get 2009?

Thank you for your time.

Shelli Rimes

Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.
Yes.