Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

What can be done to make EMT personnel responsible for medical

What can be done to make EMT personnel responsible for medical negligence/malfeasance after a vehicular (motorcycle) accident when the lack of care was due to racial and/or motorcycle prejudices in a rural Ohio county known for racist law enforcement? The prevailing opinion (legal) is that a fair trial is impossible in the county, not that the merits of the case are not compelling. Should this be a reason to abandon efforts to right a wrong and to prevent this substandard emergency care to continue? Why wouldn't an effort be made to move the proceedings from this county or to a district court? While monetary penalties get the attention, this is more about denial of standard of care emergency medical care.
I am sorry to hear you are going through this. There is no such thing legally as "motorcycle prejudices." If you are alleging you were treated negligently based on your race, this is another story. In order to prove malpractice/negligence on the EMT, you would have to have a medical expert willing to testify that the EMT's conduct was not within the reasonable standard of care based on their experience and training. Only an expert can attest to this.

If you do not believe that you can get a fair trial in your county based on racial prejudice, then you would have to present evidence of that bias with a motion for change of venue to argue you cannot have the fair and impartial trial in that county based on your race.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I go about getting an atty to get to the point where he/she will discuss the facts of the case and not tell me that EMS are not responsible for negligent care in Ohio in most cases? I can't get one to even look at the facts in this specific case. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

The EMS personnel are generally exempt under Ohio's good Samaritan law. The exception to this is if you can prove 1) they acted outside of the scope of their training, 2) if they performed their duties in a negligent manner and/or 3) if they treated you differently based solely on your race and did not provide you care within the reasonable standards of their training. This is why you would need a medical expert with EMS experience to review the care you received to attest in a court that the EMT's were negligent or outside of the scope of their training or racially motivated in their training.

Thus, the first step for you in getting an attorney to listen is to get this expert involved. Second, because you are in a small county, you need to consider looking for a malpractice attorney in one of the larger cities nearest to where this occurred, but not in the same county as you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where would I go to find a medical expert with EMS experience without having the legal expertise channels available?

You use the same sites used by attorneys who are looking for expert witnesses:

Unfortunately, you will have to pay for your experts and they will not do this on credit or contingency.