How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25421
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My stepsons roommate has left my home and has no plans to

Customer Question

My stepson's roommate has left my home and has no plans to return. However, his possessions remain styored in my basement and other rooms in my house. He pays no storage fees and I want the stuff out of my house. Should I engage a lawyer to write a letter telling him to remove hjis possessions within a certain time? Should the letter be cerified? If he does not remove his posessions, do I have the right to discard or sell them?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand your concern and the situation. Have you or your stepson had a chance to speak with him and inquire if he intends to return to obtain these items? How long have they been there for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

His possessions have been here for several months. If you count when he was living in my home (also not paying rent or storage fees), they've been in my home for more than a year. I am unable to make contact with this person because he neither answers nor returns phone messages or emails.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.
Gary, thank you for the additional information. The decision to retain an attorney to draft and send the letter is entirely up to you, as it is something which you can do yourself. You should send the letter via certified mail and give him notice, that he has 30 days to come retrieve the property. You can advise him that if he fails to do so, you will consider it abandoned and dispose of it, as you see fit. Based upon the facts which you stated above, it does not appear that he even wants it but you do want to protect your own interest and document that you did give him notice to come and remove it. This way, he does not come back and try to sue you for damages or anything of that nature, claiming you just threw it away or prevented him from getting it.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.
Hi Gary. I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!