Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Hi Judge Mathis, On October 22nd of this year, someone used

Hi Judge Mathis,

On October 22nd of this year, someone used my SSN to apply for a credit card with Pay Pal. I was then notified by Lifelock that someone was applying for a credit with Pay Pal, and wanted to know if it was me. I informed them that it wasn't and they notified Pay Pal that it wasn't me and that it should not be on my credit reports. The 22nd happened to be my birthday, and I was in Afghanistan at the time where my work involves National Security Issues (security clearances is required). Is there a way I can get the IP address from Pay Pal to find out who the individual was that used my SSN? This individual has since requested a Credit report from the credit bureaus. However, I received correspondences in the mail from the credit bureaus asking me to verify some information, because the address that the individual requested the reports be mailed to, did not match what was in their database files. What can I do to track down this individual that is trying to commit some kind of fraud with my SSN? Do I need to get a Supbena for the IP address information from Pay Pal? My security clearance can be in jepordy because of this identity theft.
V/R,
Lenny Edwards
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lenny,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Paypal unfortunately will not release that information without a subpeona. To get a subpeona, you would need to have a pending court case - which is a Catch 22, because you don't know who to sue without the subpeona. What you would have to do is file a lawsuit against "John Doe," then subpeona the information, trace the IP address, and then, if you can figure out who it was, amend the Complaint with the person's real name and address (then serve them with notice of the suit).

Considering that you are in another country, the best thing to do is to file a police report with the local police in the place where you live when not deployed. You may also want to contact the FBI, as they deal with internet fraud. Police can get IP address information from Paypal.

Reporting the theft also will give you a paper trail, which can help you if any questions arise related to your secuirty clearance.

If you have not already done so, instead of just added security measures with TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian, you may want to consider a total credit freeze, so that any requests for credit will be automatically rejected. The freeze can be removed after you get this whole thing resolved.

If you have any questions at all about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service at 3-5 faces/stars so that I get credit for helping you today. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What does the TOTAL CREDIT FREEZE entail? Would the ZIP address be supbonead by the Law Enforcement or by my attorney?

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
A total credit freeze means that you would get a password, and no one could access your credit report, for any reason. You would have to provide the password XXXXX have the freeze lifted. It could delay any credit that you actually want to get, but it will stop anyone else from damaging your credit by applying for accounts in your name.
If police are investigating, they can subpeona the address for you. If they choose not to investigate, you would still have the option of opening a case and having your attorney issue a subpeona for you.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Lawyer