How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question

Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 23607
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Judge Mathis, On October 22nd of this year, someone used

Resolved Question:

Hi Judge Mathis,

On October 22nd of this year, someone used my SSN to apply for a credit card with Pay Pal. I was then notified by Lifelock that someone was applying for a credit with Pay Pal, and wanted to know if it was me. I informed them that it wasn't and they notified Pay Pal that it wasn't me and that it should not be on my credit reports. The 22nd happened to be my birthday, and I was in Afghanistan at the time where my work involves National Security Issues (security clearances is required). Is there a way I can get the IP address from Pay Pal to find out who the individual was that used my SSN? This individual has since requested a Credit report from the credit bureaus. However, I received correspondences in the mail from the credit bureaus asking me to verify some information, because the address that the individual requested the reports be mailed to, did not match what was in their database files. What can I do to track down this individual that is trying to commit some kind of fraud with my SSN? Do I need to get a Supbena for the IP address information from Pay Pal? My security clearance can be in jepordy because of this identity theft.
Lenny Edwards
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Lenny,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Paypal unfortunately will not release that information without a subpeona. To get a subpeona, you would need to have a pending court case - which is a Catch 22, because you don't know who to sue without the subpeona. What you would have to do is file a lawsuit against "John Doe," then subpeona the information, trace the IP address, and then, if you can figure out who it was, amend the Complaint with the person's real name and address (then serve them with notice of the suit).

Considering that you are in another country, the best thing to do is to file a police report with the local police in the place where you live when not deployed. You may also want to contact the FBI, as they deal with internet fraud. Police can get IP address information from Paypal.

Reporting the theft also will give you a paper trail, which can help you if any questions arise related to your secuirty clearance.

If you have not already done so, instead of just added security measures with TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian, you may want to consider a total credit freeze, so that any requests for credit will be automatically rejected. The freeze can be removed after you get this whole thing resolved.

If you have any questions at all about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service at 3-5 faces/stars so that I get credit for helping you today. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What does the TOTAL CREDIT FREEZE entail? Would the ZIP address be supbonead by the Law Enforcement or by my attorney?

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
A total credit freeze means that you would get a password, and no one could access your credit report, for any reason. You would have to provide the password XXXXX have the freeze lifted. It could delay any credit that you actually want to get, but it will stop anyone else from damaging your credit by applying for accounts in your name.
If police are investigating, they can subpeona the address for you. If they choose not to investigate, you would still have the option of opening a case and having your attorney issue a subpeona for you.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 23607
Experience: Lawyer
Lucy, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions