Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

My now fired lawyer filed an ex parte motion too early; when

My now fired lawyer filed an ex parte motion too early; when so told by opposing he said to opposing in a letter that he would withdraw -- but he never did, so opposing filed a motion for reconsideration and won such that my simple request (photocopy of estate bank statements) could then be ignored officially by PR forevermore so I had to petition for an accounting, which profited my lawyer and costed me $14K. My lawyer even charged me for staff meetings on how to discuss his screwup with the client (me).

I want my money back, I should not have had to go to the level of petition for a simple accounting with bank statements, which was all I wanted, not the minutiae of a ridiculous accounting.

How should I go about this?

TexLawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

What state are you in?

Customer:

WA

TexLawyer :

OK. Let me look something up quickly.

TexLawyer :

Unlike many states, Washington does not offer a fee dispute resolution through the state bar association.

TexLawyer :

So, according to the state bar, you have to mediate your fee dispute. They provide a list of suggested dispute resolution professionals.

TexLawyer :

If you feel like he was unethical you can also file a grievance, but you can't challenge the fee through the grievance process.

Customer:

OK that's helpful.