Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

my police affidavit reads like this ,12-16-2012 i was responding

Customer Question

my police affidavit reads like this ,12-16-2012 i was responding to a shots fired call 0n blank road and i spoke with several subjects that stated someone fired shots and left in older grey chevy car i and another officer observed that car pull back into the driveway and he conducted a patdown for weapons and stated that he could plainly feel medicine bottle and plastic bag of weed and he placed the defendant under arrest for possession of a control substance.did the officer have probable cause to stop and search me if i was never named as a suspect in any criminal activity. the officer made me stop get out and just searched me thus finding the drugs.where is the officers probable cause
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Hi

I am sorry this has happened to you.

Unfortunately, yes. The police may get you out of the vehicle and pat you down for their safety. They had a legitimate right to come to the car because it fit the description by witnesses. Once they got to the car, there is probable cause to get all persons out and pat them down without consent and without a warrant.

If you have other questions in this regard, please post them here. Otherwise, please rate my answer "good to excellent" so that I may get credit for my time and information. Thank you