Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

My signaficant other and myself were married in Barbados two

My signaficant other and myself were married in Barbados two years ago. We never filed anything here, in the states. Are we considered married here then??
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

YES! As long as, you are legally married in Barbados, your marriage would be fully recognized in the US.

I wish you the best of luck and a Happy New Year.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What if nothing was ever filed here and we never claimed anything as married and one of us did not want to be married anymore. Would it be a full on divorce like if we were married here?

Dear Ami,

It would not matter if you never filed anything in the US as married couple, as long as you were legally married in Barbados, you would be considered legally married and if you do not wish to be married, you would have to obtain a legal divorce in the US or any other place where you are currently residing or in the last place where you acted as married couple.

I wish you the best of luck!