How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4821
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After agreeing to open a credit card in her name for me to

Customer Question

After agreeing to open a credit card in her name for me to go shopping, my aunt renigged, says she doesnt remember opening an online vic secret acct and has filed a police report on me, threatens to have me arrested and my daughter taken away. I have been living with her fir two months, she has been going through identity theft issues with several of her accts, decided i may be involved and tok my passport and cell phone to the police. Every purchase i made, she was aware of since it was her shiping and biling address used. Every package that came for me was in her name and she got an email frim her apts letting her know so how can she accuse me of fraud? It was her laptop used to open the acct, her address and phone number, in fact my name is XXXXX XXXXX on the acct. I am so upset with her for putting me in this position and taking my info to the police and closing the acct begore the bill was even duw. what can i do to protect myself from her? She is crazy, hafd mental issues that she had to take time of from work and sees a shrink.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 4 years ago.

TexLawyer : Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.
TexLawyer : There is nothing stopping her from making accusations, but that doesn't mean you will be arrested or charged with a crime.
TexLawyer : Her accusation will likely be the beginning of an investigation, but the police frequently look into things that never result in an arrest or charge of any kind.
TexLawyer : I know it can be hard and scary, but you have to trust the system. In my experience, it almost always comes to the right result, even if it takes a while.
TexLawyer : My guess is that the police will interview your aunt and get a sense rather quickly that she's not all there.
JACUSTOMER-whzae4ii- : Do i need to file a counter poluce report, do i pay the acct off anyway? Can i sue her for emotional distress and defamation?
TexLawyer : If she is truly confused, she has not committed a crime, so filing a police report on your own won't do much for you.
TexLawyer : If you opened up the account with her permission, you should pay it off.
TexLawyer : As far as suing her for defamation, in theory that is possible, but the problem is that you will have a difficult time proving that you were financially damaged. If you have to hire an attorney, it is possible you would be able to recover that amount of money from her, but it may not even get to that point.
TexLawyer : Do you have any questions?
TexLawyer : If not, please remember to "rate" my answer. Good luck. Also, if you have any questions in the future, you can direct them to me by putting "this question is for TexLawyer" in the title.