Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

What form is needed to set up a personal trust account. We

Customer Question

What form is needed to set up a personal trust account. We have a family in our church whose child has cancer. The school has done a fund raiser, but can't give to family unless they set up a personal trust account at a bank.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
You will have to have a charitable trust drafted and apply to the IRS for tax exempt status or the trust will have to pay taxes on any money raised. These trusts are not meant to be done without an attorney, because if improperly drafted you can end up in a taxable situation. Here is a sample trust document, but you really need to use a local attorney to draft the trust and apply to the IRS for your 501c non-profit status to make sure you do this properly and it can be done in a day or two, but they do not make boilerplate forms and each one of these trusts have to be drafted to the needs of the parties. There are many lawyers who will draft one of these for the situation you describe for free (and I am surprised if your church does not have a member who is an attorney or a family member who is an attorney to put this together and to file the 501c form 1023 with the IRS).

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”