BizAttorney
BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience:  Over 12 years of business and legal experience.
13790199

how to file a federal law suite against a company that owes

how to file a federal law suite against a company that owes me royalties and are stealing my intellectual property?
Expert:  BizAttorney replied 1 year ago.

BizAttorney :

Good evening! I can help you out with your legal question tonight.

BizAttorney :

In order to bring an action in federal court for violations to intellectual property, you would need to file a complaint in federal court. In your complaint, you would list yourself as the Plaintiff (or your company if it owns the IP) then list the company as Defendant.

BizAttorney :

In your complaint you would allege the facts that are the basis of your complaint, then list your causes of action (trademark infringement, etc.)

BizAttorney :

You would then serve that complaint and a summons onto the resident agent of the company.

BizAttorney :

Did you have specific questions?

Customer:

Question?

Customer:

Where do I file.

Customer:

how much

BizAttorney :

What county are you in?

Customer:

How do I find out who is the resident agent and how do I serve them?

Customer:

Baltimore city, the company is in new york and one is in LA

Customer:

they are own by a UK media group

Customer:

how do that work

BizAttorney :

You would need to sue them in NY or CA unless they did business in MD. Did they do business in MD or have any contact with MD?

Customer:

their HQ are in NY and LA, but one company is owned by a media group based in UK

BizAttorney :

Let's take them one at a time. You would need to sue them where their HQ are located unless they were doing business in MD. Are any of them doing business in MD?

Customer:

NO

Customer:

they mainly by and sell i'm guessing from their main offices.

BizAttorney :

Thank you. Then you would need to sue them where they are located. You would need to hire a lawyer in NY and LA and bring suit in federal court against them.

Customer:

That's what their betting on... too expensive.

Customer:

there must be away

Customer:

they're stealing my film for years and I can't afford to fight back

BizAttorney :

The only way to sue them is to pick a state and sue them there. Infringement of trademark grants you an award of attorney's fees, so there may be an attorney that will take the case on a contingency fee basis (they only get paid if they bring suit and win).

Customer:

I'll try that...

Customer:

I'll be back for more answers.

BizAttorney :

Great, good luck and please rate my service so I can continue to help others.

Customer:

cool

BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience: Over 12 years of business and legal experience.