TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I have a Landlord tenant case - I am the tenant. I broke the

I have a Landlord tenant case - I am the tenant. I broke the lease to get into a cheaper spot. Had been trying to work with the previous landlord for nearly 9 months with no resolution so we had to go. I did not act in the best of my company and did not respond to the lawsuit and got a default judgement against us. We are to appear in court on Thursday this week to provide financial documents. My question is this - if I contact the attorney managing the suit for my previous landlord, is it too late to ask for a settlement? Also, what should I expect when I show up and provide my personal assets to the court?

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

A settlement is always possible and it doesn't hurt to try and offer something to the attorney.

If an agreement cannot be reached, you should comply with the court order and go to court and provide the documentation of your assets that has been requested.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK - thank you. So, even though a judgement has been filed against me, I can still try to negotiate with the attorney for the landlord - I will try that step first. So if we come to an agreement, then the court subpoena will be void, is that correct? I want to pay what's just and fair and want to make an offer that seems realistic. Does half of the settlement amount seem just? Thank you!

If you come to a settlement agreement, they need to contact the court and release you from the subpoena. If they do not, you will still need to comply with the subpoena so as not to risk a contempt of court charge.

Offering half the amount is a good place to start. However, remember that they don't have as much incentive to settle now as they did before getting the judgment. You need to offer them a reason why they would want the settlement, like you are going to ask for the case to reheard or that you are going to be very hard to collect against.