TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I HAVE A CLIENT WHOSE SON IS ATTEMPTING TO TAKE OVER HER BUSINESS.

I HAVE A CLIENT WHOSE SON IS ATTEMPTING TO TAKE OVER HER BUSINESS. HE HAS BEEN RESPONSIBLE FOR MANY WRONG DOINGS TO THE BUSINESS EVEN THOUGH HE HAS NO LEGAL RIGHTS TO THE BUSINESS OR CHECKING ACCOUNT.
I VISIT THIS CLIENT IN HER HOME AND AM CONCERNED ON MY NEXT VISIT HE COULD BE THREATNING, TO ME, VERBALLY OR POSSIBLY ATTEMPT A PHYSICAL SCARE TACTIC.

MY QUESTION: WHAT DO I DO TO PROTECT MYSELF, IF NECESSARY, ON MY VISIT THAT IS COMING UP SHORTLY? IS IT LEGAL FOR ME TO HAVE A RECORDING DEVICE IN OPERATION CONCELED?

THANK YOU

Why do you believe that the son might be physically threatening to you?

What state is this in?

-ZDN
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

massachusetts.

he is trying to eliminate any contact from the mother that can be influential in helping her make decisions

Thank you for your response.

In Massachusetts, it is illegal to record any thing without everyone's consent. However, what you do is you ask for the client's consent to set up the recorded and then you leave it recording when the son is around.

If the son threatens you on the tape, you can turn that over to the police and ask for a restraining order against the son.

-ZDN
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what if i don't have the recorder and feel threatened

Are you being sent into this situation by an employer?

If so, what does the employer say you should do?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no i am independent small bus. owner

The only thing you can do then is to call the police if the son does anything which you believe is a threat to your physical safety.

Other than that, if your client won't agree to throw her son out of the house for misbehaving, there is not much you can do.