AttyCBradford
AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney At Law

Hi! My dog was bit by a rattle snake and I had her treated

Hi!
My dog was bit by a rattle snake and I had her treated at our vet. They said she was good to go home the following day, so when I came to pick her up they said she couldn't walk. I had them run tests, and they said her potassium was low, but not low enough to make her that weak. They told me to go to an emergency vet, which I did. The emergency vet gave her another set of anti-venin and IV fluid. SHe was fine the next day. It turns out, she was weak because her potassium was low! I paid $2700 for the second vet for something the first vet should have done.

I feel like I should be reimbursed for their lack of knowledge. How do I go about disputing this? Do I have a case in small claims?

Thank you so much for your feedback!!
Expert:  AttyCBradford replied 1 year ago.

AttyCBradford :

you would have to establish that the first vet should have and could have known abou the problem. You could talk to other vets and see how they would have treated your dog based onthe symptoms

AttyCBradford :

You would want to try in small claims first as they tend to favor plaintiffs in small claims

AttyCBradford :
AttyCBradford :

you would be suing for negligence

Customer:

Do you think I have a case? Is it worth my time to sue? Do you think I should send a certified letter requesting reimbursement, or just go straight to small claims?

AttyCBradford :

I would first request payment, as that is a requirement of small claims that you made attempts to settle the debt. Becuase it was such a large amount i think it is worth it

AttyCBradford :
Customer:

OK, so the 1st vet was $1700. They sent me to the 2nd vet which cost me $2700. What amount should I ask for? Thank you for your help BTW!

AttyCBradford :

BOTH! If the first vet messed up with the diagnosis then what was the $1,700.00 for? And the $2,700.00 could have been avoided if they didn't mess up so i would ask for both. You can always settle for whatever you wish

AttyCBradford :
Customer:

The $1700 was for treating the bite (anti-venin, IV fluids, overnight stay, etc)

Customer:

How likely are vets to reimburse clients?

AttyCBradford :

sometimes they will, sometimes they won't. I would say then ask for the $2,700.00 and they might work with you on that one, since they did try to treat him

AttyCBradford :
Customer:

So ask for 2700, then if they refuse, then try small claims, correct?

AttyCBradford :

Yes correct!

AttyCBradford :
Customer:

perfect. I do appreciate your help on this. Wish me luck!

AttyCBradford :

Good luck

AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney At Law