TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I live in kansas and want to build homemade model rockets.

I live in kansas and want to build homemade model rockets. I was wondering if it is legal for me to build my own rocket motors using potassium Nitrate (kno3) and table sugar for the fuel. They will not be transported and will be launched from my own property. Just want to stay within the law. Thanks

It is legal, but you have to obtain permits for the rocket propellant, as it is an explosive.

You need to check with the Kansas State Fire Marshall to see what permits they require you to get in this situation.

See: http://www.ksfm.ks.gov/explosives/

Please let me know if you wish to discuss this matter further.

Best Regards,
ZDN
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is legal, but you have to obtain permits for the rocket propellant...... Are you saying I need permits from someone other than the state fire marshall? And if so, who would that be?

No,

I believe the state fire marshall is the only department you need to speak to about getting the permits.

-ZDN
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My apologies...I did not intend to rate the poor service...Let me know if I can fix it....Hopefully the second rating over rides the first...

Thanks for your reply

That's ok.