AttyCBradford
AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney At Law
66829710

2010 husband had stroke and had to go to a senior living community.

2010 husband had stroke and had to go to a senior living community. I signed as the responsible party. 9/29/2011 we divorced and his son now has his power of attorney. I paid the community up until we were divorced. I hand delivered a copy of my divorced papers along with a note stating that I would no long be the responsible party. Well,they claims they didn't receive it and now are coming to me for payment. The last payment I made was September 15, 2011 (prior to the divorce). Since my court papers state that each party will not be responsible for their own debts and I still responsible to pay the communitiy bill?

AttyCBradford :

Do you have proof that they received a copy that you were no longer the responsible party?

Customer:

I handed it to the girl at the front desk and ask that it be given to Sarah.

AttyCBradford :

Well then you would have to file a declaration with the court stating that you gave them notice. You should send them a letter IN WRITING asking for them to verify that you are still the responsibility party for the debt as you are divorced and the divorce judgment no longer made his debt which was acquired after the marriage your responsibility.

AttyCBradford :

If i have answered all your questions please accept the answer and provide positive feedback otherwise please ask additional questions and I will respond.

Customer:

Yes you have answered my question. Tks