Zachary
Zachary, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I live in Alaska. Is there a requirement for landlords to give

I live in Alaska. Is there a requirement for landlords to give notice to tenants before having non-emergency inspections and/or work done inside the house?

I am a teacher in a remote village. Part of my teaching contract requires that I live in district provided housing, for which I have a 12 month lease renewed every year and rent. Today, with no notice, 4 engineers/architects arrived to inspect, measure, cut samples from my walls and floor, and move and poke through every corner of my house, to include taking pictures.
Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Under the Landlord Tenant Act, the landlord has to get your permission to enter the premises for this type of activity.

When a landlord abuses his or her right to enter by coming in without the tenant’s permission or
repeatedly without need, the tenant can ask a court for an injunction ordering the landlord to stop. The
tenant may also sue for actual damages or one month’s rent, whichever is greater, plus court costs and
attorney fees. If the tenant wishes to move because the landlord has abused the access privilege, a tenday written notice from tenant to landlord is required

Please let me know if you have further questions.

--ZDN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything I can do to... encourage the school district to follow the Landlord Tenant Act that doesn't involve putting my job at risk? Because my landlord is also my employer, it doesn't feel safe to complain about these incursions. This is not the first time (it's the third in the last 6 months or so). The first time, I refused entry, as I was teaching and my pets were loose in the house, and I did not trust the people coming to be respectful and responsible about my animals. I was chastised for my uncooperative behavior.

Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.

The law requires that you cannot withhold consent for entry unreasonably. A concern that you cannot be there and you have pets might go either way if a court where asked to determine whether you were being reasonable or not.

That being said, whether or not you have protection depends on a number of factors. Do teachers have a collective bargaining agreement in Alaska or do you have a employment contract?

If so, then the school firing you for you making a complaint about them violating the Landlord Tenant Act would be actionable against the school.

Nonetheless, if you are worried about making a stink over the whole thing, the best thing to do is to go to the administrator and tell them what is going on. Tell them that you would be happy to accommodate their need to enter your house but that the law requires that they ask your permission first. When they ask you, you need to cooperate and work with them to find a suitable time for them to come into the house.
Zachary, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs