TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

My wfe is closing her personal training studio.We have an ADT

My wfe is closing her personal training studio.We have an ADT alarm system . We signed a contract foe three years when we started five years ago. They are saying that we have to continue paying for the service even though the phone line will be dead and there will be no business there. Are we Obligated for any time after the business closes.

Thank you for your question.

Generally, even though your business is closing, you are still obligated under the terms of the contract to continue paying until the contract is terminated.

Do you have a copy of the contract handy?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We signed a contract for three years. we are two years beyond that. My wife says she did not sign any kind of extention and thought we were month to month.

You must terminate the contract pursuant to the terms of the contract.

For example, if the contract states that it becomes month to month after the initial 3 year term, but requires 60 days written notice of termination, then you have to follow that procedure.

So, to truly answer your question, you have to look to the contract. Do you have it with you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we are in the middle of moving so it will take time but I will find the contract and read it again.

I hate moving. But just reply to this line when you find it and we will look at it together.

I'm following up with you regarding this question. I see that you have not accepted my answer by rating my service with a positive score. If you don't do this, then I don't get paid by the website for my work . Help me be able to keep providing this type of service to you and other customers by taking a few moments and providing me a positive rating.

Giving me a positive rating will not prevent us from continuing to work together on this question. I really appreciate it.