TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I was recently a witness to a car accident. I came upon a

I was recently a witness to a car accident. I came upon a scene where a car hit a tree and was on fire. Another person put the fire out while I called 911 and for that I was late to work. Can my place of employment penalize me for being late for work because I was giving a statement to law enforcement about the accident?

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, being a good Samaritan does not always pay off. There is no protection in Missouri for employees who voluntarily assist in a police investigation. If you had been subpoenaed or had been otherwise called to court (like on jury duty), your employer could not penalize you. But in this case, your employer can penalize you unfortunately (although they should not and are morally wrong for doing so).

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Although the news wasn't good, don't shoot the messenger. Please rate may answer positively so that I might receive payment from the website for my work.

Please let me know if you have more questions about this.

Have you explained your situation to your employer?