TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I had a radical hysterectomy 8/24/12 using the Da Vinci robotic

I had a radical hysterectomy 8/24/12 using the Da Vinci robotic method due to a diagnosis of cervical cancer. I am left with a permanently damaged bladder and must use self-catheterization for the rest of my life. I am 49 yrs old. Also during the surgery an artery was accidentally cut which required a cardiovascular surgeon to come in and repair. A few days post-operatively I was rehospitalized with urosepsis and c-diff and was very ill. It is now December. I have not returned to work yet, recovering very slowly with continued abdominal/pelvic pain and bladder spasms. Even though they didn't find any more cancer during this surgery I am so disappointed with the outcome regarding the bladder and my change in quality of life. This has been a BIG adjustment. Should I consider taking legal action?
Thank you for your question and I'm very sorry to hear about your situation.

Do you know whether or not the damage to your bladder was the result of a mistake made by the surgeon?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

-ZDN
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm not sure, but my urologist stated that the nerves were damaged that control the bladder's contracting capability and this happened during surgery. I imagine the injuries to the nerves and to the artery were due to the surgeon's lack of experience or lack of finesse with the robot. I didn't want this surgery, but was told by this group of surgeons that I had no choice, but that I had to have it in order to insure that the cancer was removed. I was very frightened as you can imagine.

I think you have a very good potential case for medical malpractice. Your age, the nature of the resulting injury, and the effect it has had on your life add up to having some real value that might interest a medical malpractice attorney to take a look at your case.

I recommend that you go and consult with a local medical malpractice attorney as soon as possible to review your case in person.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please also remember to rate my services positively so that I might receive compensation from the website for my work.

Best Regards,
-ZDN