Zachary
Zachary, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

hi i owen a small pub in nsw country, apra has cent me a bill,

hi i owen a small pub in nsw country, apra has cent me a bill, they say you have to pay for free to air tv and radio.
i dont make any money from music,we dont have a dukbox, we watch the foot ball the cricket and just about any sports on tv the radio we lisen to and it mainly tork back, why done you have to paid for that.

stephen
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fran i an happy to wait for the answer but, how long will it take, and what more information done you need i will be working out side and will check for any answer you sand
stephen holder mobile #0400043016 if needed.
Expert:  wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience, Stephen. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Regards,
Wendy
Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

I'd be happy to answer your question. While you do not have to pay for free TV or radio for personal use, when you use it in a commercial setting, such as a bar, you are technically liable to pay a license fee for the broadcast. That is because the right to broadcast, i.e., play the music at your bar, requires payment to the artists and music producers. These payments are collected by APRA and are distributed to the artists accordingly.

What's more, if you refuse to pay, then you could be sued for copyright infringement, which will end up costing you a whole lot more than if you paid the license fee requested by APRA.

Please let me know if you need further information.

-ZDN
Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

I'm following up with you regarding this question. I see that you have not accepted my answer by rating my service with a positive score. If you don't do this, then I don't get paid by the website for my work . Help me be able to keep providing this type of service to you and other customers by taking a few moments and providing me a positive rating.

I really appreciate it.
ZDN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

zdn thanks for your reply

i understand about playing the music, but arnt the artis get paid from the tv and radio station broadcasting,licence arnt they double dipping.

also poeple playing music would not make money if there music wasnot played on tv or radio this is how poeple are famous in fact artis should be paying tv and radio.

when it come to tv i am not interested in watching music, only sports and the news

also then a show is produced and they play music on it, the produces pay the arts for using there music.

i have no problem paying for music if i was making money out it.

we also live in the country and we use tv and radio for emergences broadcasting.

stephen

Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.
Broadcast licensing fees are also due on TV. I know that it does not seem fair because its free TV and radio, but when it is used by a commercial establishment there are broadcast licensing fees due pursuant to the Copyright Act.

All TV programming in Australia including free-to-air and subscription services (i.e. Foxtel, Austar, Sky, ABC, SBS, 7, 9, 10 etc.) contains copyright music. If your business uses a TV to play television broadcasts or DVD’s then you are authorising any music contained in the programming to be performed in your business. Businesses need not account to APRA for screens used only for TABtext, Keno or internal advertising where there is no sound apparent ,as there is inherently no public performance of music occurring. If your TV is used for anything outside of the examples given please contact your local Licensing Representative to discuss further whether an APRA|AMCOS licence is applicable.
Zachary, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs