BizAttorney
BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience:  Over 12 years of business and legal experience.
13790199

I received my security deposit statement from my prior landlord

I received my security deposit statement from my prior landlord around the 55th day. We were charged a total of $4,000 in expenses. $740 for cleaning; one by a professional company (listed as general cleaning) and other from landlord (no date but days and hours written on a terminx invoice). $72 for miscellaneous repairs. $185 for terminx and another $2,950 for heattreat. The landlord identified bedbugs (from terminx) after we vacated the house. We took precautions and had our belongings serviced for treatment since we found out about it. The new tenant and the landlord has signed a contract with heattreat for services to be done in two weeks. They are charging us for these additional heattreat services. Am I liabile for these additional services? Was I liaible for the initial inspection after we vacated? We informed the property manager of a constant mouse problem, which we attempted to resolve ourselves and paid out of our own pocket. The problem still persisted and they said they called our neighbors who said they had no problems. We told them we think they were coming from the neighbors shed, one they never called.
Is the property manager required to do a walk thru with us? I was charged twice for cleaning. The landlord wrote her hours down on the terminx invoice and included the walmart reciept for cleaning supplies. There are not dates listed when the landlord was there cleaning. The date on the invoice from the professional cleaner was 4 days after we vacated. The invoice stated, "Scrub down of walls, doors, etc. Kitchen was wicked bad!!" I have pictures of the kitchen after I cleaned it. It shows the date and times in which we were there. The supplies the landlord purchased at walmart was the same day our lease expired. The same day we had to be out. How can she pre-buy cleaning supplies and charge us for it, not knowing what the house looked like yet? The professional cleaner said the kitchen was "wicked bad!!" Can I request pictures to prove their services? Because I have pictures that I took after I cleaned. Does it sound like I have a valid dispute regarding the security deposit with the property manager/landlord?
Expert:  BizAttorney replied 1 year ago.

BizAttorney :

Good evening! I can help you out with your legal question tonight.

Customer:

Great, thank you. What do you think?

BizAttorney :

In Colorado the landlord is required to send a written statement of damages, along with any security deposit refund, to the renter's last known address. Yes, you can request pictures of the property to support the charges. You can also provide pictures of the property that you had to show a judge that the property was clean. The pictures you have that you took after you cleaned will be evidence to support you.

Customer:

Would about the $2,900 service charge for heattreat? Am I liable for these services?

Customer:

Do I have to pay for these services?

BizAttorney :

Which services exactly?

Customer:

The heattreat services totaling $2,900.00

BizAttorney :

What is the heattreat? I'm not sure what that is.

Customer:

To treat for bedbugs. The agreement is between the new tenants and landlord, not us. But billing me for it.

BizAttorney :

I see, no you should not have to pay for bedbugs if you did not cause them. That expense should go to the landlord since that is part of renting.

BizAttorney :

If you caused it though, then you will likely be stuck with the expense of correcting it.

Customer:

Thank you

BizAttorney :

You are very welcome! Have a good night and good luck. You can always get an attorney if the landlord is not willing to compromise with you. For that much money, it is worth fighting for.

Customer:

do I have the right to choose my own company?

BizAttorney :

Take care and please give me feedback so that I can continue to help others.

BizAttorney :

No, he can choose the company unfortunately.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a good night also

BizAttorney :

Thank you!

BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience: Over 12 years of business and legal experience.