dylatess
dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues
29685164

i receive disability from SSA and a private insurance company

i receive disability from SSA and a private insurance company for an apporx. of $1500. per month combined. I recently started to receive a divorce settlement from an ex-husband upon his retirement from the military which was awarded by the judge in the divorce approx 16 years ago. i do not work and don't earn an income. I receive money from the disability insurance company because I was deemed disabled and I do pay the premiums through my employer under a group policy. Will or can my private insurance company reduce my income from them for the amount i just started to get in the divorce settlement? Again, I am disabled determined by SSA and the private disability insurance company that I paid for while still working and still pay for as a disabiled inactive employee.
Hello and thank you for your question. For over 34 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

Thanks for your question. Note, your long term disability policy benefit can be reduced by the amount that you receive from the SSA. But your divorce settlement will not reduce your benefits. Likewise, you do not need to inform Hartford of the settlement. I wish you well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My disability has changed due to the SSA amount in the past when the amount I reported was a little off of what was told to the Hartford, but do i understand that you are saying that I don't need to inform SSA or the disability company of my settlement. That the settlement is not the business of either SSA or The Hartford?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Just wanted some clarification to the answer. Again, in general speaking, it is or is it not required to inform SSA or the LTD insurance company?
Since you receive SSD, which the amount you receive is based on your work history, you do NOT need to notify Hartford or the SSA.