LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

I was born in Turkey my birth document shows I am 36 but because

I was born in Turkey my birth document shows I am 36 but because my parent is illiterate they didnt check the mistake birth certificate place did it, instead of 1980 they put 1976, and when i moved to amerika i did everything with wrong age, now I am a american citizen. My age is bothering me because it is not who I am. Can I legally change it.
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 2 years ago.

Hello Sarah,

My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney and glad to try and help out.

Sure, this is certainly doable, and Turkey actually utilizes a rather modern system called the Central Civil Registration System (MERNIS). But, you'll have to do this pursuant to Turkish law, so here is how that works. The simplest approach would be to submit an electronic inquiry:

Contact

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I hope all works out for you.

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Hello Sarah,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Thanks!

Ben
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am an american citizen now, do I have to do it from Turkey or I can go to court here and correct it

Hey Sarah,

Good to hear from you!

Yes, even with being a United States citizen, you have to approach it through Turkey. Sorry about that, but it's the way the system works.
Hope all goes smoothly for you.
Take care and have a good weekend!

Ben
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok then when i get a paper from Turkey and my paper shows my age changed, is it hard to change my age here in united stetes, what is the steps, or i just need to send to Social security ofiice to change it directly

Hi again Sarah,

Thanks for writing back.
Once you have the proper document from Turkey, it's actually a fairly straightforward process here in the United States.
Here is a step by step guide to the process:
Correcting a date of birth on Social Security's records

Take care and have a good weekend!

Ben