How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Richard Your Own Question

Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 50141
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i purchased a 2001 bmw from a person and apon him finding the

Customer Question

i purchased a 2001 bmw from a person and apon him finding the title i would pay the last payment of 1200.00 he has yet to produce a title and i have had the car for 5 months and cant use it becase i cant register it. i have a hand written bill of sale and 2 witness sigitures i have made many attemps to pay but to no avail and now he wont return my calls or e mails what can i do i either want my money back plus damages for the fact i cant use the car and its been stored at my house taking up space, or i want the car with no strings attached is this something that can be done ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. You absolutely have a cause of action here; and to get action, you want to raise the stakes. . Send your seller a certified,
return receipt requested letter detailing the history and demanding that they deliver you clean title or refund all your money within a short
specified period of time. Inform him that if your demand is not timely
complied with, you will have no choice but to file a suit against him for your
damages. Be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not
only as a breach of contract case, but also as a deceptive trade practice
action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional
amount equal to 3 times that as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of
incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit.

Thank you so
much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I've done my best to provide information which
will be helpful to you.
If I have not
fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I
have misinterpreted your questions in any way,
please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so
I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer
. If I have fully answered your
question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service
with 3, 4, or 5
faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to
provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok one problem he no longer lives at old address and all i have are e mail address and phone numbers and i will not be here to file a suit as i work in new zealand and stay there for 6 months at a time, can i just file for lost title with the bill of sale i have witch dose say it is paid in full.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the additional feedback. Yes, you can use your bill of sale to file for a lost title. The only issue will be is if there is an outstanding lien that hasn't been paid. Although that gives you a claim against your seller, the lienholder is not obligated to release its lien until paid. You might want to send your seller an email, rather than a letter, regarding the info I provided above. If there is an outstanding lien, the statute of limitations is several years, so you could file your suit when you return.
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 50141
Experience: Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Richard and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve
you! If I can be of assistance to you in
the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions