Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

i purchased a 2001 bmw from a person and apon him finding the

i purchased a 2001 bmw from a person and apon him finding the title i would pay the last payment of 1200.00 he has yet to produce a title and i have had the car for 5 months and cant use it becase i cant register it. i have a hand written bill of sale and 2 witness sigitures i have made many attemps to pay but to no avail and now he wont return my calls or e mails what can i do i either want my money back plus damages for the fact i cant use the car and its been stored at my house taking up space, or i want the car with no strings attached is this something that can be done ?

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. You absolutely have a cause of action here; and to get action, you want to raise the stakes. . Send your seller a certified,
return receipt requested letter detailing the history and demanding that they deliver you clean title or refund all your money within a short
specified period of time. Inform him that if your demand is not timely
complied with, you will have no choice but to file a suit against him for your
damages. Be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not
only as a breach of contract case, but also as a deceptive trade practice
action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional
amount equal to 3 times that as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of
incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit.

Thank you so
much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I've done my best to provide information which
will be helpful to you.
If I have not
fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I
have misinterpreted your questions in any way,
please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so
I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer
. If I have fully answered your
question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service
with 3, 4, or 5
faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to
provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok one problem he no longer lives at old address and all i have are e mail address and phone numbers and i will not be here to file a suit as i work in new zealand and stay there for 6 months at a time, can i just file for lost title with the bill of sale i have witch dose say it is paid in full.

Thanks for the additional feedback. Yes, you can use your bill of sale to file for a lost title. The only issue will be is if there is an outstanding lien that hasn't been paid. Although that gives you a claim against your seller, the lienholder is not obligated to release its lien until paid. You might want to send your seller an email, rather than a letter, regarding the info I provided above. If there is an outstanding lien, the statute of limitations is several years, so you could file your suit when you return.

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve
you! If I can be of assistance to you in
the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!