P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

is it legal in virginia to tape someone without their knol

is it legal in virginia to tape someone without their knolwedge
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

That depends. Depends on if the recording is in a public place or not and what the recording was of.

VA is a "one party state" for recording. The law states

An individual who is a party to either an in-person conversation or electronic communication, or who has the consent of one of the parties to the communication, can lawfully record it or disclose its contents. Va. Code Ann. § 19.2-62 (West 2012).

So long as at least one person is aware of the conversation, then the recording can be made.

For a video tape, it is a crime to "secretly photograph or record a person under or through his or her clothing, in a place where the person has a reasonable expectation of privacy." Va. Code Ann. § 18.2-386.

If the recording was made in a non public setting, and made public (for example posted on the internet) the person who was recorded could sue in civil court for invasion of privacy.