Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

In early October I gave a fellow AA member permission to temporarily

In early October I gave a fellow AA member permission to temporarily stay on my couch as he was sleeping in his car. In the interum he has moved his toods and a small amount of furniture into my loft. He has quit working, his money has evaporated and he stopped going to AA meetings. He has a history of crack cocaine use and I beleive that lhe has relapsed. I live in fear like a prisoner in my own home. He also attempted a sexual assault on me. I asked him to leave and find other accoddations a month ago and so far he has done nothing. What are my options???
.
Thank you for using JA. Unfortunately, in allowing him to stay with you over a few days, you have inadvertantly become a landlord and him your tenant. So in order to legally get him out, you would have to deliver a written 3 day notice to him terminating his tenancy and notifying him to vacate. However, if he did not do so, then you would have to file a formal eviction action through the courts to get him out.
.
A couple things you may consider....If he has attempted to assault you, you could immediately file a criminal complaint and request a restraining order that would force him out as soon as it was issued, usually the same day you file the complaint.
.
If you didn't want to go that route, you can pay a sheriff to serve the 3 day notice on him so he thinks law enforcement is involved and that may scare him into moving out.
.
But filing a criminal complaint with a restraining order is by far the fastest way to get him out.
.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please don't forget to rate my service "OK" or higher. It is only then that I receive credit for my work.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation but I don't make the laws, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.