How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question

Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 23661
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi i live in Md. I received a summons from the Lease Finace

Customer Question

Hi i live in Md. I received a summons from the Lease Finace Group in the state of NY. I was renting a credit card processing machine from them, and falsely led into a 4 yr. lease.
It started in 2007 and I closed and sent back the processing equipment in 2009. I recently received a letter and then the summons. I desperately want closure, but could you help me with "Personal Jurisdiction" in this case. I found a lawyer in NY but he want to charge 1500. and states that would be all he would charge me. What is this company wants to collect the 3500. said due to them, on top of the lawyers fee. I work at Lowes and my husband has terminal cancer. Just the thought of spending this money is more than we can handle. I would be relieved for any advice please.
Cecilia Brown
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is Lucy and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The starting point here is to look at your lease. If there is a clause in the lease that states that you agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the NY courts, that is binding on you - and that essentially ends the personal jurisdiction discussion.

If there is no such clause, you are subject to jurisdiction in New York if you live or work in New York, or own property there. You may also be subject to jurisdiction if you have sufficient "minimum contacts" with the state of New York, and the lawsuit arises out of those contacts. Minimum contacts may include reaching out to a NY company to do business. If you were in NY physically when you entered the contract, that would give the NY courts jurisdiction over you. If you solicited the company's business, knowing that's where they are located, that's something the courts will look at. They'll also look at the number of telephone calls, emails, letters, and other correspondence directed at NY. If you happened to be physically in NY when you were served with notice of the suit, that's another thing, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

If, after looking at all of the facts, the judge concludes that you have no connection with NY that would allow the state to exercise jurisdiction over you, he can dismiss the case and require the plaintiff to refile in Maryland. It's a very fact-specific analysis. Read over some of the factors I've mentioned, and if you have any questions (and there's no forum clause in the lease), let me know. I'm happy to clarify or answer any follow-ups.

Please rate my service positively before signing out, as this is the only way that I get credit for the time I spend helping you. I hope that you are 100% satisfied - otherwise, please reply so we can continue the conversation. Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Lucy,,I looked at the lease and indeed they do state the clause you mentioned re jurisdiction, so i am screwed i guess. Please tell me if i should go ahead and hire this lawyer, or do i handle this directly with the company i have to reply by the 11 dec..would it be better handled thru a lawyer thank you

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Well, it depends. If you have a defense, and are claiming that they violated the lease, or that they used fraud to get you to sign the lease, a lawyer may be able to help you. The lawyer may also be able to negotiate a settlement that is lower than the $3,500 that they are asking for. $1,500 is less than I would expect many lawyers to charge to defend the case. Make sure any fee agreement is in writing, and read it very carefully to be sure of what you're paying for. You likely will have a better chance at defending the case with a lawyer, but there aren't any guarantees of success either way.

You're also free to contact the company, attempt to negotiate, then make a decision whether you would prefer to have a lawyer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

last question...if i call to try to negotiate, does that legally fill the summons for replying within 30 days or does that have to be filed by a lawyer..or could i write it myself and send it certified mail

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
The reply has to be written and filed with the court, with a copy to the opposing attorney. You're allowed to represent yourself to file the response. It doesn't need to be sent via certified mail.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions