Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

Medical expenses for tax purposes

Customer Question

I had a 'pre-malignant lesion' removed from my nose a couple of years ago but the Dr MISSED the actual spot we were concerned about...he burned off a lot of tissue AROUND the lesion but not the actual lesion. A few months later another Dr (a friend of mine) used a laser to remove the lesion that was not removed by the original Dr. This laser procedure left a large, noticeable dent in my nose. **In an attempt to try and repair the dent, I had a plastic surgeon use a 'filler' which is usually used to 'plump up wrinkles' but in my case he was attempting to fill in the dent caused by the laser to remove the lesion.**  That procedure lasted only a few days.  I have now decided to have this 'dent' repaired surgically by the same plastic surgeon. This particular plastic surgeon is 'not a provider' in my insurance network, so I will be paying out of pocket for his fees, the hospital fees, and the anesthetic. My question(s) is will these charges be tax deductible? **Also, can I deduct the amount I paid for the 'filler' in attempt to first fix the dent?** A biopsy was never done originally but it was a 'REMOVAL OF A PRE-MALIGNANT LESION' which was processed by my insurance.  Thanks for your help!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Yes, you may deduct these expenses, but there are limitations.

If, for a taxable year, you itemize your deductions on Form 1040, Schedule A (PDF), you may be able to deduct expenses you paid that year for medical and dental care for yourself, your spouse, and your dependents. You may deduct only the amount by which your total medical care expenses for the year exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. For years beginning after December 31, 2012, you may deduct only the amount by which your total medical expenses exceed 10% of your adjusted gross income. You figure the amount you are allowed to deduct on Form 1040, Schedule A. The full rules are set out in IRS Publication 502 which you can find at http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc502.html

Deductible medical expenses may include but are not limited to:

• Payments of fees to doctors, dentists, surgeons, chiropractors, psychiatrists, psychologists, and nontraditional medical practitioners
  • Payments for in-patient hospital care or nursing home services, including the cost of meals and lodging charged by the hospital or nursing home
  • Payments for acupuncture treatments or inpatient treatment at a center for alcohol or drug addiction, for participation in a smoking-cessation program and for drugs to alleviate nicotine withdrawal that require a prescription
  • Payments to participate in a weight-loss program for a specific disease or diseases, including obesity, diagnosed by a physician but not ordinarily, payments for diet food items or the payment of health club dues
  • Payments for insulin and payments for drugs that require a prescription
  • Payments for admission and transportation to a medical conference relating to a chronic disease that you, your spouse, or your dependents have (if the costs are primarily for and essential to medical care necessitated medical care). However, you may not deduct the costs for meals and lodging while attending the medical conference
  • Payments for false teeth, reading or prescription eyeglasses or contact lenses, hearing aids, crutches, wheelchairs, and for guide dogs for the blind or deaf
  • Payments for transportation primarily for and essential to medical care that qualify as medical expenses, such as, payments of the actual fare for a taxi, bus, train, or ambulance or for medical transportation by personal car, the amount of your actual out-of-pocket expenses such as for gas and oil, or the amount of the standard mileage rate for medical expenses, plus the cost of tolls and parking fees

Thank you so
much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I've done my best to provide information which
will be helpful to you.
If I have not
fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I
have misinterpreted your questions in any way,
please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so
I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer
. If I have fully answered your
question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service
with 3, 4, or 5
faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to
provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve
you! If I can be of assistance to you in
the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!