INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

My lawyer has filed a complaint in landlord tenant court for

My lawyer has filed a complaint in landlord tenant court for eviction due to slander and interfering with business... The thing is I have never said or done anything! I believe it is all hear say or lies made up by the management team that they just fired! They quoted to a reporter that my husband and I were horrible people and that they have no proof but it is just obviously me writing negative reviews online! I have never done such things! I am scared I have children. What do I do? I am literally sick with stress and anxiety I have not slept in two weeks. I am so upset it is interfering with everything I do. Please help
Hello and thank you for the question. I am sorry to read of this dilemma.

Eviction is not a likely outcome where rent is being paid and there is no breach of tenancy. If landlord on the other hand is breaching quiet enjoyment of the tenant, it is the tenant who can pursue damages including back rent credit.

Defamation is a serious claim and can be pursued in court for damages.

I am going to provide you information on both slander and libel since they are so closely related and so often confused with each other.

Both involve the communication of false information about a person, group or entity. Libel is any defamation that can be seen....writings, printing, effigy, movie or statue. Slander, is any defamation that is spoken and heard.

They are civil injuries that harm reputation, cause a reduction in respect, regard or confidence, or cause disparaging, hostile or disagreeable opinions or feelings against an individual or entity.

The laws regarding libel and slander are the same.

To prevail in a defamation suit for libel or slander and recover damages, you must prove 4 things: (i) the defendant conveyed a defamatory message they knew or should have known to be false; (ii) the material was published (i.e., conveyed to someone other than you); (iii) you can be identified as the the person referred to in the defamatory material; and (iv) you suffered an injury to your reputation as a result of the communication.

Slander requires showing false statements made to another causing harm to reputation and financially. It is an expensive and time consuming lawsuit. Consider also if the defendant has any money to collect assuming you succeed and obtain a judgment. Often a lawyer letter leads to the slander to stop and is more cost effective.

I am sorry you are going through this ordeal and I hope this information is clear. If you need any clarification, please ask me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was pretty clear on a of these points that you, made so thank you for reaffirming. I do feel as though I have a defamation claim, maybe something under false light I don't know, do I seek a personal injury lawyer. I honestly am so nauseous and worked up it affects everything I normal would do. I don't know if I should go to the E.R or see my doctor. I have physical and emotional symptoms.. Do they need to be documented?
You should meet with a local personal injury lawyer. Martindale.com and findlaw.com are good resources. You should have yourself checked out both so you feel better and secondly so there are records of the resulting injury when it comes down to discussing damages and possible settlement. Wishing you the best of luck. Have a nice weekend. Kindly rate the answer positively.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is the best way for me to convey what is happening.

http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_post/2012/11/30/union-busting-pestronk-brothers-sue-unhappy-tenant-slander/

I need a philadelphia personal injury lawyer I think.

martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.