FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

how can i stop the sheriff from selling my personal proper

how can i stop the sheriff from selling my personal property?
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 1 year ago.

FiveStarLaw :

*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

FiveStarLaw :

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

FiveStarLaw :

why is the sheriff attempting to sell your property

Customer:

i owe some money from credit card,

FiveStarLaw :

a bankruptcy would stop the attachment. Have you consider this option

Customer:

no, how much does it usually cost to file? how long does it take to be active? there was a judgement againts me.

FiveStarLaw :

The moment the bankruptcy is filed, all collection action must stop

FiveStarLaw :

this includes collection on judgments

FiveStarLaw :

the costs depends upon the type of bankruptcy that you file

FiveStarLaw :

and many other factors however

FiveStarLaw :

typically costs began at about $1500 for attorney's fees

Customer:

can you give me ball park? which is better 7 or 13?

Customer:

what do i need to file?

FiveStarLaw :

Which bankruptcy is better depends upon many factors.

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy could discharge (erase) all of your unsecured debt such as credit cards, judgments and personal loans. It would be an opportunity for a fresh financial start. However, you may have to surrender assets, if any, that exceed your exemption.

A Chapter 13 bankruptcy is a repayment plan for an individual. It may require that you repay some of your unsecured credit card debt over a 3 -5 year period. However, you may retain assets that exceed your exemption.

Here are the exemptions for Pennsylvania:
http://www.bankruptcyinformation.com/PA_exemp.htm

FiveStarLaw :

Many bankruptcy attorneys will offer of free initial consultation

FiveStarLaw :

I suggest that you make is whether with a local bankruptcy attorney

FiveStarLaw :

Anything else

Customer:

can they sell my wifes car? the tiltle has both of our name, i owe $7,000, but now they want $13,000+

FiveStarLaw :

If the judgment is in your name alone, they cannot force the sale of the car titled in both your name and your wife's name

Customer:

just me alone..but are they gonna attempt tho?

FiveStarLaw :

Yes they may –

I suggest that you retain a local attorney.
Here is a link to a free site that may assist you in locating competent legal counsel: www.Martindale.com

Customer:

are sure 'bout this? I'm just worried bout my wifes car that she use for work.

FiveStarLaw :

yes

FiveStarLaw :

it is called a tenancy by the entireties exemption from creditors

FiveStarLaw :

I wish you the best during this difficult time

FiveStarLaw :

please ask for me directly if I can assist you in the future

Customer:

is this applicable in PA?

FiveStarLaw :

yes it is – all of my answers applied to Pennsylvania

Customer:

Thank you..

FiveStarLaw :

Good luck.

FiveStarLaw :

FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience: 25 years of experience helping people like you.

Thank you for your business.

The site will be sending you a survey. The results of the survey are essential to my employment.

You will be asked in question #3 of the survey: "3. How likely is it that you would recommend your Expert to a friend?"

I would greatly appreciate it if you would answer "10". If for any reason you cannot answer "10" in response to question number 3, please tell me how I may further assist you.

As always, I am here to address follow-up questions at no additional charge.