Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

I broke a marble table in my house, drove the pieces to a nearby

I broke a marble table in my house, drove the pieces to a nearby strip mall at night, and disposed the pieces in a commercial dumpster. While disposing, I saw a man taking pictures of my car. I went back home, but shortly returned and retrieved most of the pieces. What are potential penalties if any? What can I do to avoid any penalties?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Sir,

I believe I have answered this question in your original posting. Did you see my response?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No as my credit card transaction did not get through so I reentered

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still cannot see the response please respond

Andrew, I will repost my answer below. Please let me know if you see it.
Reposted below:

Thank you for your question.

So long as you did not leave any contraband or traces of this illegal dump, you have done all that you could. If there is a fine coming, you can ask that they point to evidence and if no evidence is forthcoming (by evidence I mean physical proof of dumping that I assume your removed), you can legitimately seek to dismiss the fine based on lack of evidence. Just because someone took images of your vehicle does not necessarily mean a fine is coming, there must still be an investigation to see if the information is valid and a fine is warranted. Without proof of what was dumped that is a hard fine to attach to you if you removed the items.

Good luck.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

_____________________________________________________________________
Please rate my information as "great service" if you found it to be useful. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can see your response. Can you still clarify as I could not retrieve two small pieces still in the dumpster. Makes sense to go to that store and apologize or offer to pay for those?

Thank you for your follow-up, Andrew.

At this point the best option is likely to do nothing. The store itself cannot fine you, the state agencies do so, so coming to them and apologizing does not really solve the issue. This is a situation where sitting tight and waiting to see what develops is the more prudent approach.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for prompt response. I could also go to the City of Dallas but not sure if that is useful. Was that dump action a crime?

Thank you for your follow-up.

That would be most unwise. In the City of Dallas, specifically under Chapter 18 Section 12 of the City Code, dumping is a crime. Going to the city and admitting that you committed illegal dumping will get you fined.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But what can I do about this to avoid any potential criminal history?

Thank you for your follow-up.

So far you haven't been charged. This is out of your hands at this time. If charged you can plead down and offer to pay the fine. If that occurs and they agree, there is no criminal history or otherwise. But please understand that you are currently worried over something that you cannot control. It also simply a code violation, it is not criminal in nature, so paying a fine will remove this from your record.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.