Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

We had a pizza delivered to our home earlier tonight. The

We had a pizza delivered to our home earlier tonight. The delivery man arrived at our door at exactly the same time my husband was opening it to walk our two dogs. The dogs immediately became excited and I asked the delivery man to move to the side so my husband could take them out. He moved about 10 feet to the side. Our smallest dog was on a retractable leash and apparently it wasn't locked. While he was on his leash he ran up to the delivery man and he nipped his leg.

Our dog is a 12 pound bichon. The delivery man was wearing jeans. He casually mentioned that our dog had bit him. I apologized several times and asked him if he was ok. He repeatedly said he was. About 30 minutes later he called me and said that he had looked when he got back to the restaurant. The bite had actually broken the skin and his manager had suggested that he get a copy the immunization records. I told him I would fax it to him and told him to let us know if he needed medical treatment. He said he thought it was ok but he wanted to be sure he didn't need to worry about rabies. I immediately faxed the rabies certificate. I called the restaurant back and told the manager I had sent it. He sounded disinterested and told me the delivery person was still working.

I know that this would be covered under our umbrella policy, but I'm still worried. Is there anything else we need to do. What should we do if he calls back and says he needs medical care?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

If he needs medical care, you cannot prevent him from getting it. Legally, you are liable for any medical bills that result from the bite, because dog owners are strictly liable for damages caused by their pets. However, if your insurance covers dog bites, the insurance company should take care of everything for you. All you have to do is report the injury and let them handle it from there. They're contractually obligated to investigate the claim and to defend you if the driver takes legal action against you (as long as it's covered by the policy). You may want to read your policy for peace of mind, but it doesn't sound like there's anything else you need to do. If and when he asks for compensation or medical bills, you just need to open the claim with your insurance company.

Please rate my service positively before signing out, as this is the only way that I get credit for the time I spend helping you. I hope that you are 100% satisfied - otherwise, please reply so we can continue the conversation. Good luck.