Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I am disabled with refractory epilepsy. Im currently receiving

I am disabled with refractory epilepsy. I'm currently receiving Medicare, Medi-Cal, and SSDI. My father wants to put me into his will, but doesn't want to make me worse off than I already am. My medication alone is over $4k/month. Medicare pays for most of it, but not everything.

Will I lose any of my benefits if I inherit any money? Please refer me to the person or organization with the best information. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Santa Clara, CA

XXX-XXX-XXXX,[email protected]
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

If you receive an inheritance your SSDI or Medicare will not be affected in any way, as this income is considered an unearned income and only income from from wages or self-employment income can reduce SSDI payments. Unearned income is not counted.

Unfortunately, for Medi-Cal, the state will have every right to demand for you to repay any benefits paid on your behalf for your medical bills and the only way to avoid this from happening is for you to either setup Special Needs Trust and put your inheritance into the trust, so it can be used for medical purposes needed by you or you would have to disclaim this inheritance and not to accept it.

I wish you the best of luck!

I wish you the best of luck!