LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

House owner passes away. Daughter who is main beneficiary wamts

Customer Question

House owner passes away. Daughter who is main beneficiary wamts to know if she can sell the house,pay off bank and keep excess. Also my name was once on deed to house, but since the house is in Florida and my mom found out my husband who I have been separated from for 14 years might have a claim to the house she took my name off recently. What can I do?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. I certainly understand your situation and concern. Is the home going to be left to the daughter, upon the passing, in the owners will?

Hi Valerie. I just wanted to follow up and see if you had a chance to respond to my information request above.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

unfortunately, the home owner never got to do a will. That's why I am asking the question. With no will and no one elses name on the deed, what can I do?

If the owner passes away and was not married at the time and the only heir is the daughter, then the home is likely going to pass to her. Once that happens and she becomes the legal owner, she can sell the home. The sale proceeds will go to pay off the balance and then she would be able to keep the remainder. If there are other children, they will each likely take a equal/shared interest in the home and then it would need to be determined what to do with it.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Hi Valerie. I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!