AttyCBradford
AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney At Law
66829710

How should my husband plead to a domestic assault charge?

Customer Question

Expert:  AttyCBradford replied 2 years ago.

AttyCBradford :

That answer would depend on the specifics of the case. If he is innocent he should enter a plea of not guilty and set the case for a pre trial conference where he can discuss the facts of the case with his lawyer and or the district attorney

AttyCBradford :

If he wants to enter a plea he would want to enter a plea of no contest, but I would suggest in consulting with an attorney first

AttyCBradford :
Customer:

What are the chances of him not going to jail?

AttyCBradford :

depends on the case a lot of times the DA might be willing to do what is known as a deferred judgment if he does a 52 batterers treatment program and various other things. What state are you in.

Customer:

Missouri

AttyCBradford :

let me look up that state for you

AttyCBradford :

also is the the first offense?

Customer:

Thank you and yes it is

AttyCBradford :

okay hold on one moment please

AttyCBradford :

was it charged as a felony or misdemeanor

Customer:

the summons doesn't say. It only says domestic assault

AttyCBradford :

Okay generally speaking then he will be offered a plea deal to complete some type of batterers treatment program and show proof of completion. Soemtimes the DA will want the individual to plead guilty and do the program, other times they will continue the case until the program is complete and then dismiss the case afterwards.

AttyCBradford :

I strongly suggest hiring a local attorney or a public defender

AttyCBradford :
Customer:

We are too late to do that. We have to go tonight

AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney At Law
The he should enter a plea of not guilty and ask for a pre trial conference date. He should then try and hire an attorney before that date. In the alternative he can ask for a continuance of the arraignment which is what he is set for today in an effort to hire an attorney

best of luck