How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My credit cards have been stolen over the time of 11 months

This answer was rated:

My credit cards have been stolen over the time of 11 months as far as I know (4 different credit cards). I know who did it, and I confronted him over and over and he said he would quit and pay me back, but did not happen until i canceled all my cards. So far he only paid me back .01% of what he spent. He is working on paying me back right now and has intention of paying me back, but I want the guaranteed pay back. The total amount that he stole is about $20,000.00. I still have all the canceled card and credit card statements. It is easy to prove that he spent the card because I was in LA and card was spent in CO where he was at that time. He receives government money for being veteran, like $400 or something, and being paid for his housing and school fee. He currently does not have a job, and trying to set up his business. He is trying to pay me back with the fund that he would receive from the funding for his business. What can I do to receive guaranteed pay back every month? If I press charge on him, will I still be receiving the money back? Will he go to prison? I think the level of the crime is pretty bad because he kept stealing the new card that was issued after i canceled old cards. I NEVER gave permission or borrowed him my credit cards. He went into my purse and stole the card information.

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Do you have any reason for wanting to protect this person from the consequences of his actions?

Have you informed the credit card company that the cards were stolen and that the charges made were not authorized and were the result of fraud?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is an old friend, and I feel bad putting him in jail, but the situation has gotten to the worst level, and I am willing to do so if he fails to keep his words this time.


Yes, I took care of credit cards already. I was able to retrieve the amount from 2 credit cards, yet I couldn't for the rest of the 2 cards because they were made out of States. They were international cards. For the international cards which were used mainly for the fraud, I have the statements ready. What are the ways for me to guarantee the pay back?

I would say what you are after, a guarantee of getting the money back from him, is not something that is really achievable. He does not have the money to repay you and is, for all intents and purposes, a thief.

The best you can do in this situation is to get it set in stone that he owes you the money. There are two ways you can do it.

The first, and the one with the most likelihood of success, is to report him to the police and request an order of restitution from the prosecuting attorney. This will require him to pay you back or face further criminal sanctions, which will be added to the criminal sanctions which may already be laid against him by the State.

The second way is to sue him for fraud and obtain a judgment. Because you are talking about him owing you more than $20K, this is a case you will have to file in the district court or county court. This will generally require an attorney. However, you are likely to get a default judgment against him, so the attorney's fees should not be that much (a few thousand at most, but probably under 1,000).

Obtaining a judgment against him gives you the personal right to seize his belongings and his bank accounts. You won't be able to get his benefits paid directly to you, but you can seize them once they are in his bank account. If he has any property that is not exempt, you can also seize that. This requires a lot of work and diligence on your part.

I recommend the criminal prosecution path. It has a higher likelihood of success and a lesser cost to you personally.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your help.

What if I write a agreement on how much he needs to pay me back every month, and he signs it. Will it be effective? If he fails to keep his words after sighing the agreement, will I still be able to request the restitution by reporting the police?

Getting him to sign an agreement does not really provide you any protection. You are relying on his promise that he will honor the agreement, and he is the one who stole from you in the first place.

If he will sign a document, have him sign an agreed judgment that you can enter in the court. This will make it so that he owes the judgment and cannot wiggle out of it.

I'm concerned with the idea of telling him that if he doesn't pay you will report him to the police. That could technically qualify as criminal extortion (demanding money in exchange for silence). You would have to be very careful to never promise him that you will not report him to the police.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, although I am a complete victim here, If I tell him that I won't report to the police if he pays me back is considered as a crime?


It's a crime to demand payment in exchange for not reporting someone to the police.

You can demand the payment, but you cannot tell him it is in exchange for not going to the police.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What if I was going to report the police, and he begged me not to, and he asked me to wait til the certain date, and I agreed on it. Is it still considered as a crime?

No, I think I'm confusing you. Since he owes you money, you can certainly ask for the money and agree that you will not call the police if he returns the money. Giving him til a certain date is fine.

I'm just warning you to not put anything in writing to ensure that it is not used against you somehow.
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Please let me know if there are any other questions you need answered on this issue.

Best of Luck in getting your money back,


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.