TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I live in Michigan. I purchased lumber (trusses) for the building

I live in Michigan. I purchased lumber (trusses) for the building of my new garage from a local lumber company. They were delieverd July 27, 2012. I paid by check which was cashed and have a receipt from the lumber company. On Oct. 30, 2012 I received a Notice of Furnishings from a truss company where the local lumber company got them from and were never paid. Nowhere on any of may paperwork is the truss company noted. Can the truss company put a lein on my house or do they have to go with the local lumber company...which is now going out of business?

Thank you for your question.

Since the truss company was not hired by you to provide services for your home but are simply a supplier to a lumbar yard, then they could not legally assert a construction lien.

However, this does not prevent them from attempting to file one, which sounds like what they are trying to do. If they do file a construction lien you will have to initiate a lawsuit to have it removed. The truss company would be liable to you for your expenses.