Zachary
Zachary, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I am lookign to place a lien on a boat for a boat delivery

Customer Question

I am lookign to place a lien on a boat for a boat delivery from Annapolis MD to Bermuda that has not been paid. I don't know where/how to start the process.
Expert:  SavyLawyer replied 1 year ago.

SavyLawyer :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer.

SavyLawyer :

Just to be clear, you are not currently in possession of the boat, the owner is? Making the boat's location in Colorado?

Customer:

No--the boat was delivered to Bermuda and the owner was in Colorado and their intended charter company was handling the finances of the delivery. The final destination was to be St. Thomas with the charter company.

SavyLawyer :

Ok, and just to make sure, in the sales agreement, there were presumably no terms stating that there was a security interest in the boat if the sales amount was not paid on time?

Customer:

The boat was sold recently to the Colorado owner and there was not an issue with that payment. My brother was hired independently to serve as Captain of the boat and was to deliver the boat to the Charter company who will be managing the charter business for the owner. The Charter company--an individual woman, had wanted to use her boyfroend to handle the delivery, but the insurance company didn't accept him to captain the boat--so my brother was recommended and used. He was to be paid $3000.00 to deliver the boat from Annapolis MD to St. Thomas. They got caught up in part of the weather from Hurricane Sandy and routed to Bermuda. The charter co woman's boyfriend and the captain, my brother, didn't get along and when they got to Bermuda--the half way point, the woman terminated my brother as captain. She said that she paid him, but she didn't and he is seeking at least 1/2 of the delivery payment which would roughly be $1,500.00.

SavyLawyer :

Ok, thank you for the extra information. The reason I ask is because (1) I am trying to determine if a lien is an appropriate remedy, and (2) which state's law would apply (because lien law is generally covered by state law). Give me a few moments to see what I can find.

Customer:

Thanks

SavyLawyer :

Ok, the truth of the matter is that I am not finding a Maryland or Colorado law allows for a lien in such a situation. There are certainly mechanics liens, which apply when construction or repair work is completed on property, but I cannot find anything that would allow a lien where the breach of contract or failure to pay is a personal services contract. A lawsuit for money owed would be appropriate, but it does not appear to me that a lien would be. However, I am not completely confident in my answer, so what I will do is opt out so that another professional can take a look at your questions and, hopefully, give you a more certain answer.

Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

You have a maritime lien under general admiralty law on the vessel for failure to pay for services rendered to the vessel. The problem you will have is that an action to enforce a lien on a vessel is one which is done "in rem". In other words, the vessel must be within the jurisdiction of the court in which you are attempting to enforce the lien.

So, in order to enforce the lien, you need to go to a court in the country in which the boat is located and file an in rem action there.

You note that the boat is going to be located in St. Thomas eventually. You can file your in rem action in the US Federal District Court for the Virgen Islands once the vessel is in St. Thomas.

-ZDN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks--how would I file the rem in US Federal District Court VI? Will I need an attorney?

Thanks

Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.
Unless you want to actually go down to VI yourself and attempt enforce the lien, then yes you will need an attorney.

The lien enforcement is actually a seizure of the ship. An experienced maritime attorney will be needed to assist you.

-ZDN
Zachary, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs