TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I want to start a half way house for rehabilitation of men

I want to start a half way house for rehabilitation of men with drug and alcohol fependency in North Carolona. How/where can I find what laws regulate this type of busiiness?

Thank you for your question. A Half-way house is not defined or regulated by the State of North Carolina. There are licensed residential facilities that work with government agencies to provide a place to live and group support for people in transition. However, there are also many unlicensed halfway houses where people have opened up their homes to those in need of a place to stay as well as numerous multiindividual "recovery roommate" situations. There are a number requirements to fulfill before opening an adult residential facility in North Carolina. So, if all you want to do is start a half-way house that is unlicensed, then there are no laws or regulations.

Please let me know if you have further questions on this issue.

Best Regards
-ZDN