How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Questions about filing an appeal in Georgia

This answer was rated:

I need to file an appeal in the State of Georgia, but it isn't clear which forms I need to fill out and what it needs to contain. This is my "first" step in the appeals process so I am unsure what all I need to provide.


An example of an application, brief, etc. would be great.


Thank you for your question.

First, I need to know what kind of case you are appealing and what your reasons for appeal are.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi ZDN. This is a divorce ruling. There are several components of the ruling that are counter to precedent that I need to appeal, but it isn't clear how I need to form this document to turn in to the clerk of courts.


Let's start with some basics and then we will work through it together.

An appeal is only generally allowed when a judgment is final, and only under certain specific conditions.

1. Has the Court issued a final judgment?

2. If so, how long ago did the court issue the final judgment?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. The court issued a final judgement (from what I can tell looking at the database), though I have not received anything. Shouldn't I receive the final judgement? Opposing council generated the document and I commented on it and it went to the judge and I requested a hearing on the matter. However when I look at the court docket, it is listed as closed.


2. I've still got 3 days in the 30 day window to file my application. I would file a motion to extend, but I can't find that document online either.


The first is to file a Motion for a New Trial. This extends the appellate deadlines until 30 days after the date the court rules on the Motion for a New Trial. Assuming that the court overrules the motion, then you would

I am not aware of a form for the motion for new trial. However, it is generally a pre-requisite to any appeal to file a motion for new trial, pointing out the errors you believed were committed by the trial court and requesting that the trial occur again.

If you believe that the jury made an error rather than the trial court, you need to file a motion to modify the jury verdict and show why it needs to be modified. I am not aware of any form for this motion either that is publicly available on line, although one might be available at your county law library or in the law library of a nearby law school.

Nevertheless, it is not necessary to use a form. Simply state the request "Movant respectfully XXXXX XXXXX court for a new trial based on the following: xyz, etc."

After you've gone through these motions (and been denied), then you will file a Notice of Appeal with the trial court.

A great guide to Georgia appeals is located at:

For a Notice of Appeal form, contact the court clerk to see if there is a specific one that the courts like you to use.

Please let me know if you need further information.

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions