dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues

BofA issued me 3 cashiers checks for the total amount of $50,000.

BofA issued me 3 cashiers checks for the total amount of $50,000. My bank account was frozen by the local sheriffs here in Northern California due to a marijuana cultivation charge later that same day. BofA is now refusing to honor these checks. Is this legal? The cash was taken out of my account to make these cashiers checks before my account was frozen. I thought these checks are guaranteed?.
Hello and thank you for your question. For over 34 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

Banks follow what is commonly referred to as banker's hours. To illustrate, if at 10 in the morning your checking account is overdrawn but at 1 o'clock you deposit money to cover any outstanding checks, the checks will be honored. Likewise, though the bank issued you the checks, later in the day there were insufficient funds in your account as a result of the Sheriff's action. Therefore, the bank is correct in not honoring the cashiers' checks. Sorry. Thanks for understanding.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Banks will only issue certified checks/cashiers checks if there is sufficient funds in the bank account to cover the checks? If there is not eough cash in the account to cover a cashiers check the bank will not issue one.Once they issue the checks the funds are suppose to be guarenteed.
The numerous Internet sites I checked said the only way they are not good is if there is fraud? Which there was not. The sheriffs dept should only be able to seize the money that is in the account.
BofA is playing games on the phone and are basically stalling and evading myself and my attorneys? I would think that they would just say the account was overdrawn and be done with me?
What is. Or question?