TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

A lawyer sent me a letter saying i can file bankruptcy because

A lawyer sent me a letter saying i can file bankruptcy because im being sued for 20,000 dollars by a person. First of all how can i find out if i'm really being sued? second of all, whats the best thing to do
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Do you know in what county the alleged suit has been filed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

illinois

Do you know in what county the alleged suit has been filed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

cook

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX search for cases naming you as a defendant. The cook county court site is down at the moment, but this is a link to the page you would search on for cases naming you as the defendant: http://www.cookcountyclerkofcourt.org/?section=CASEINFOPage

If you are in fact being sued, you would need to determine the nature of the suit and whether you are properly named as a defendant. If the suit is invalid, you would file a motion for summary judgment or in the alternative a motion to dismiss. Please let m eknow if you need additional guidance.
Can you elaborate on the basis for your rating? Is it that you have an additional question that was not answered? Why did you rate the way you did?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

didnt receive what i wanted to know

I see that you have opted out from your last attorney. He was correct in providing you with the manner in which you may determine whether you are actually being sued.

As far as whether or not you should declare bankruptcy, this is something you should very carefully. Filing for bankruptcy will automatically stay a suit against you. However, doing so without good reason could result in negative consequences. Further, while it may only stay the civil lawsuit against you, it does not necessarily make it go away forever, it only stalls it.

The best thing to do is to locate the lawsuit, answer the lawsuit and make a defense. If you indeed are in too much debt and need to file bankruptcy and can do so legitimately, then it is a good idea to go through with the bankruptcy.

If you want further details or other information, let me know.

Best Regards,
ZDN
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs