Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

We are having trouble with our lawyer. He does not return

We are having trouble with our lawyer. He does not return our emails, and our request of proof that money placed in escrow between us and old tenant is still in escrow and was not released back to them. We were suppose to do mediation and it has never been scheduled (almost 5 months ago.) I know about the code of conduct, but what should be my first and then next step? If I fire my lawyer, can I then call the tenants lawyer stating I am no longer have legal representation, and ask him to send me proof the money is indeed being held, or it was released without our knowledge or permission?
Your first step is to send your attorney an actual letter demanding a response. If he has not replied to a letter (not email) then your next step is to terminate him and you would notify your attorney in writing that he is terminated and he is not to release the escrow until contacted by your new attorney and if he does you will pursue him for malpractice. Then you would notify the tenant's attorney that this attorney has been terminated and cease and desist all contact with him and to communicate with you until you obtain new counsel. When you obtain new counsel, they will arrange to obtain the escrow from the first attorney.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”