Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Re: Servicemens Civil Relief Act, specifically, the provision

Re: Servicemen's Civil Relief Act, specifically, the provision that caps a serviceman's credit card debt at 6%.

My wife has enlisted and goes to basic training on Jan 2. The credit cards are all in my name, since I opened the accounts prior to my marrying her and her emigrating on July 31, 2011.

Is there a legal means whereby I can transfer ownership of my bank account to her? If so, will she be eligible for the 6% cap?

Alternatively, as the spouse, and with her as joint owner of my account, am I eligible for the 6% cap?

Our financial institution is USAA, which caters exclusively to current an past military members.
In order to receive protection, the debts would have to be joint debts, meaning in both of your names. What you can do is you can get her to open a credit card in her name and transfer the balances from your credit cards which are your separate debts and not eligible over to a card in her name alone or in her name and your name jointly and then those new accounts would be eligible for protection under the SCRA.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”