Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Is there a time period in which an order needs to be filed

Is there a time period in which an order needs to be filed with the court to be valid. The plantiffs attorney wants us to sign an order but specifically says DO NOT DATE THE ORDER, ONLY SIGN YOUR NAME EXACTLY AS WRITTEN ON THE ORDER. A claim from an insurance company was filed 10/7/09 however we think the attorney forget to file the order. Is this an issue?
Under the VA rules of civil procedure there is no time limit set for the entry or submission of written orders in a case. As long as an oral order was entered on the record this is sufficient. The fact a written order was not submitted after an oral order was entered does not invalidate the oral order. Thus, it would not be an issue.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there was only a judgment but no order, does that make sense?

Yes, it makes sense and the judgment issued orally is an order and then that judgment is reduced to writing, but the fact it was issued orally still makes the judgment valid.