ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney

My wife is filing for divorce in Lincoln County, Georgia while

My wife is filing for divorce in Lincoln County, Georgia while I am a resident
of South Carolina. Should I be represented by a lawyer in Georgia or in
South Carolina?

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

If you have not filed for divorce before she did, then in Lincoln County, Georgia (or at least a Georgia attorney). I am assuming that she has a lawyer as well, and that there are at least some contested issues. If the divorce and all the ancillary issues are not contested, then you don't need to spend money on a lawyer. Even if there are contested issues, if she has not "lawyered up" herself, then it would be better to try to handle the situation without one.

ScottyMacEsq :

But if you get one, get one where the divorce action is being held, and certainly one that is a licensed attorney of that state.

ScottyMacEsq :

State law varies, and you want to make certain that your attorney knows state law specific laws and case law that might give you a leg up on your case.