TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

I live in Guam and work for a contractor from Alaska and they

I live in Guam and work for a contractor from Alaska and they are taking taxes out of my check for Alaska. is this legal? They are also taking taxes for Guam. How do I file and get my taxes from Alaska and I am not a resident?
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Where are you working ... in Guam or in Alaska?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I live and work on guam at the naval station.

Hi again.

Since you live and work in Guam, then it makes no sense for the contractor to take out Alaska taxes. That would have only made sense if you worked in Alaska. Accordingly, you are correct in your assessment. Alaska actually has no state income tax, but I suspect that the taxes taken from you pay are for unemployment and worker's compensation. CLICK HERE.

I would immediately complain to your HR department and explain that since you are neither an Alaskan resident nor do you work in Alaska, you should not be paying Alaskan unemployment or workers compensation taxes. After all, you are paying for two services that you will not be entitled to receive (i.e., workers comp. and unemployment benefits).

If your employer refuses to comply, then you would be forced to sue for a refund. Obviously, such a move would likely be disastrous for your career with that employer, so I would likely not do so unless you intend to find a new job (but you may want to find a new job anyway if your employer were incorrectly taking your money and refusing to correct its mistake).

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need clarification, and please remember to rate me positively. Thank you!