How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

One and a half year ago, I allowed my ex-girlfriend to borrow

This answer was rated:

One and a half year ago, I allowed my ex-girlfriend to borrow my car for 3 months so she can buy a car for herself. She said she was going to make the payments along with the auto insurance and she has only made 6 payments. I have asked her numerous of times to return my car, and she said she for me to leave her alone!!! I have been renting a car to get to work, but can no longer afford to do this. I cannot buy another car because no bank is going to give me another loan, plus my credit is not that great. Please help me, what do I do?

Does.she still have the car?

Who is making the payments?

Is the title in your name?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She still has the car. I am making the payments and the title is in my name only.

Dear JACUSTOMER - You need to file a suit for replevin of the vehicle and for the amount of payments she has not made. The court will then order the car returned to you and you can get a judgment against her for the amount of money you have spent while she has had possession. I doubt the police would take a criminal complaint for unauthorized use of a vehicle but you can try that as well and have her charged with a crime. It would be up to the police as to whether they will file criminal charges but if they will that would be the quickest way to resolve the issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much for your response. As I stated, she has only made 5 payments on the car so I can sue her for the other non-payments. Can I represent myself in court?

Yes and yes!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much! You have been very helpful.

No problem and thanks for using our service - Dave
Dave Kennett and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you