MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.

do i have a case against my brothers. i have an older and younger

do i have a case against my brothers. i have an older and younger brother. we are all 4 years apart. they severely abused me as a child and teen. if you want the details i will provide. i don't think degree of severity is a question. statute of limitations i don't know. iv'e suffered from depression, ptsd, panic/anxiety disorder, personality disorder. started in 1972 but, consistent since 1988. so, let's say my mental injury is ongoing and dr's say probably rest of life. i'm 60. older brother 64, youger 56. the abuse by older brother lasted till he was almost 22. so, definitely an adult. iv'e seen over 40 therapist and over 12 psychiatrist. been on every med available and ect last march. i don't think he can claim didn't happen as in 1992, i, my parents and my brother met with psychiatrist and he admitted the abuse. do i have a claim. if so what and how to proceed. thanks, john
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Are you familiar with the legal principle that claims that are deemed stale are not considered by the court, it is often referred to as a statute of limitations?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not familar with stale but, with statute of limitations. unfortunately, i was physically and sexually abused by a priest. my mental injury started in 2002. in iowa since, i was 15 when abused the statute was 2 years. if i was 14 , 4 years.

Thank you John, and I am very sorry to learn of what happened to you as a child. Unfortunately the statute of limitations would bar a suit against your siblings for harassment/abuse. In order to file such a suit, it would have had to been filed within 4 years of your 18th birthday. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

confused. why did i have a valid claim against the priest. i was 50 in 2002. thanks

Because that was a claim of sexual abuse. Did your siblings sexually abuse you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no, they repeatedly smothered me with a pillow, locked me in closets, attic, held me under water. several thrapists have said i was lucky they didn't kill me.

Unfortunately then your claim would be time barred. I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news.